The Guffman Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

bored

3 posters

Go down

bored Empty bored

Post by ComanderCalorie Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:34 pm

so im sitting here, bored as hell, trying to think of something to do, and i think, "maybe i'll screw around with my laptop or somethin." so i figured id come here(lol), and ask you guys if you have any ideas. i plan on majoring in computer programming, so i guess i gotta start somewhere. so does anyone have any ideas? preferably something not to risky, since i doubt i will follow it by the book. i have windows 7 pro if that eliminates/opens doors.
ComanderCalorie
ComanderCalorie
Soul Reaper
Soul Reaper

Male
Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

bored Empty Re: bored

Post by The MacGuffin Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:33 pm

Problem No. 1, you use Windows. I find that the best way to learn programming is to force myself to be around it all the time. Try dual booting Ubuntu (10.04 comes out in 4 days). However, the downside is that the Ubuntu release is becoming more and more user friendly, which means less looking at code and more clicking on pretty pictures.

If you do not want to have to relearn an entire operating system, I'd suggest messing around with Netbeans (by sun microsystems). Hands down it's one of the best compilers to date. As for learning the code itself there's hundreds of beginners tutorials out there. Mr. Google and I are also intermediate coders ourselves (Mr. Google probably better than me) so if you get stuck on a section of code ask away.
The MacGuffin
The MacGuffin
Ali Babba
Ali Babba

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCollectiveUnconscious Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:25 am

did you try my guide on changing your login screen background? not really anything to do with coding but it will improve familiarity with the filesystem and registry editor.

if you would like to start coding try Netbeans and maybe join a development community like Dream.In.Code. I'll start an open source forum if anyone is interested... we can post source code and learn from each other
TheCollectiveUnconscious
TheCollectiveUnconscious
Forum Tech-Wizard
Forum Tech-Wizard

Male
Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2010-02-05

http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1006496

Back to top Go down

Post by ComanderCalorie Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:50 pm

well i certainly have a lot of learning to do. i think i know where i want to go to college, and when i went into the book store to look for something on javascript (since im interested) there was absolutely no books relating to any educational subject. so a book on javascript turned into assholeology Very Happy
ComanderCalorie
ComanderCalorie
Soul Reaper
Soul Reaper

Male
Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post by The MacGuffin Sat May 01, 2010 5:36 pm

In the long run javascript is kind of a useless language (according to Mr. Google), and I tend to agree with him.

If you're looking for a quick way to learn the elements of coding I would suggest visual basic (probably the easiest coding language to learn), though if you want to get right into higher level coding a good c/c++ class will do you no wrong.

And after that, if you still hunger for a more in-depth into how a computer runs I highly recommend this book.

bored Lrg
The MacGuffin
The MacGuffin
Ali Babba
Ali Babba

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post by TheCollectiveUnconscious Mon May 03, 2010 12:25 pm

yeah with html5 coming out javascript and flashscript are pretty much dead languages... get a book on java (yes its actually a lot different from javascript), c/c++, or even visual basic... almost every program is written in c/c++ nowadays but almost every high level language is exactly the same.... i find java to make the most sense but thats probably because java is the first one i learned...
TheCollectiveUnconscious
TheCollectiveUnconscious
Forum Tech-Wizard
Forum Tech-Wizard

Male
Number of posts : 518
Registration date : 2010-02-05

http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1006496

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content